Wednesday, October 19, 2011

If I were to go back and retrace my footsteps, I'd get lost...



December 25th, 2010; I am lying on a twin mattress that is on the floor of my brother's house in upstate NY. I am woken by the rustling of my niece as she is trying to sneak out of the room. I lay there, eyes closed and can hear her walking down the hall. I hear her gasp, a second passes and then I hear her little feet running back to her bedroom where I am waiting pretending to sleep. Then I feel it; a single finger tapping my forehead. She’s whispering “Aunt Jenny, Santa came and he brought presents for you and Uncle Cris”.
It was there in that very moment that I knew we had to adopt.
Fast forward 10 months. We are smack dab in the middle of the adoption process. There are a lot of factors and events in our lives that lead us to adoption and to the decision to adopt an older sibling group from foster care. Through my blogging you will get a look into the events that lead us to our decision and the process that we have been navigating to make our family.
 My hope in writing is to give families looking to adopt from foster care a place to get an honest view of the adoption from foster care system. This is slightly different from Foster to Adopt. In a Foster to Adopt, the children who come to you are still in the process of reunification with their biological family.
Many states including North Carolina, where we reside do everything in their power to keep children with their biological family. The role of a foster parent is to help facilitate this reunification. I will be honest, this is not something I can do. I know that I would be too attached to be able to let the children go to their families. Adopting from Foster is adopting children that are free to be adopted, parental rights have already been terminated and there are no family members that are able to adopt the children. The latest statistics are that there are over thousands of children available for adoption in North Carolina alone. Our hope is to adopt 2 or possibly 3 of these children. 
We are 9 months into the process of adopting and yet to be approved. The first thing I will share is that no matter what anyone says, this is a very long process. We were told 3-6 months to get approved.
I will start to share our journey in my next blog. I would like to make each entry 2 part. The first will be letting you know where we are today and the second I will talk about where we came from in chronological to be able to share the details of the process.
I look forward to sharing our story with you all.

0 comments:

Grab Our Buttons!



Follow Us

Followers